On the 24th of April 1812 the founder of Bournemouth, Captain Lewis Tregonwell, took up residence in his newly built mansion. He purchased the land from Sir George Ivison Tapps Lord of the Manor of Christchurch for £179 & 11 shillings. It was the first house in Bourne derived from a geographical reference to the little Bourne (burna) meaning stream which was later to give Bournemouth its name.
In the early days friends were invited to visit to relax and use the beaches. This heralded the very beginnings of the great British
seaside holiday. When the Marchioness of Exeter became the first tenant, the mansion house was renamed Exeter House and the road Exeter Road to commemorate her visit.
The house was purchased by Henry Newlyn in 1876 who extended the mansion and it became known as Newlyns Family Hotel. After numerous visits by the Royal Family it acquired its present title The Royal Exeter Hotel.
Our bar and restaurant’s name is in recognition of the massive historical impact this building has had on the town over the past two centuries. 1812 Management would like to thank all of its loyal customers and staff who have helped make the first three years such a success seeing us winners and runners up for several awards, one of which rating us in the top four in the country. We always try to increase our standards and are open to any comments on how we can make improvements whether it is with drink, food or service all suggestions are welcome. Design & innovation by the Brewer Family, Nick Gumery, Management & www.magicboxmedia.com .
- WINNERS – Best Bar None Award – “BEST BAR NONE” 2008
- WINNERS – Best Bar None Award – “BEST BAR” 2008
- HIGHLY COMMENDED - Bournemouth Tourism Award – “BEST EVENING EXPERIENCE
- BAR/NIGHTCLUB” 2008
- WINNERS - Bournemouth Tourism Award – “BEST EVENING EXPERIENCE
- BAR/NIGHTCLUB” 2006 and 2007
- HIGHLY COMMENDED - Bournemouth Tourism Award for “BEST TASTE” 2008
- FINALISTS - National BEDA awards – “BEST BAR” in London & the South 2007
- FINALISTS - Theme Magazine London & South Region Award for “BEST MUSIC” 2007
- FINALISTS - Class Magazine National Bar Awards – “BEST CLASSIC HOTEL BAR” 2006
As with the architecture of this historic building, 1812 mixes the important traditional elements with more contemporary themes. This flows through all our designs and menus, offering old century established cocktails balanced with an excellent range of new century drinks. Our food is traditional and affordable with a contemporary twist and the new world wines stand shoulder to shoulder to offer our customers the best possible choice.
- Monday – Thursday 17:00 – 00:00
- Friday & Saturday 17:00 – 01:00
- Sunday 12:00 – 23:00
- Monday – Saturday 17:00 – 23:00
- Sunday 12:00 – 16:00 & 18:00 – 21:30